Practice of thoracic surgery has long and rich tradition at the Military Medical Academy. Its beginnings are related to the year 1956, when the Department of Chest Surgery, headed by Col. General Prof. Dr. Izidor Papo, was established within the framework of the MMA’s Clinic for Surgical Diseases. The first head of the Department was Prof. Dr. Dimitrije Milanović. In that time, surgical interventions included the first operations of the heart, lungs and larynx. The present Clinic for Chest Surgery was formed in 2006 by Colonel Prof. Dr. Vojkan Stanić.