After the Second World War, all activities in the field of occupational medicine have been performed within the framework of Institute of General and Military Hygiene and Hygiene-Epidemiology Institute of Yugoslavian Army. Foundation of the Department of Occupational Hygiene, in the work of MMA’s Hygiene Institute in 1954, entamed organized activity of occupational medicine. As it expands its scope of work, the Department changes the name into Department of Occupational Medicine. In 1983, it grew up in Institute of Occupational Medicine. Institute was established by Col. Asst. Prof. Aleksandar Gala, who had a large contribution in occupational medicine development both in Military Medical Academy and Armed Forces.